A trendy Korean summer dessert, milk bingsu recipe! … It’s essentially a shaved ice dessert decorated with various toppings of your choice. These toppings typically include sweetened red bean paste, sweetened condensed milk, sweet rice cakes (aka mini mochi), jellies, various summer fruit and fruit syrup etc.
You can make classic Korean shaved milk bingsu easily at home.
- Freeze the milk until solid. Mix milk with a little bit of cream and put it in a zip bag laying flat in the freezer. After about 3-4 hrs, you will get solid hard frozen milk.
- Keep it on the counter for 5-10 minutes to thaw a little bit. Then, pound it with a rolling pin flipping the bag back and forth.
- Scoop the mixture into a serving bowl. When you see the large cluster of milk mixture forming like slush, It’s ready.
- Place the milk slush into a cold serving bowl, and top with red beans and rice cakes. Drizzle a little bit of sweet condensed milk on top, about a tablespoon or so.
- Serve while it is cold. Stir the slush-like shaved milky ice and red beans gently altogether. Now you can enjoy the cool refreshing taste of Korean summer dessert.